View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 pm

Spring Fever 
King of Spring

Post Spring Fever
OK guys and gals, it is time to start gearing up for the spring. Yes, even with all the snow still around. Been down to base this morning and seen a mixed flock of turkeys in a big stand of pines. 4 were nice long beards that I could tell. I counted 28 but knew there were more there.

Anyone planning out of State trips this spring? My angles are doing better so right now got PA and NY lic. Have been invited to FL and GA but have not yet pulled the trigger on them. My finger is itchy though.

Best to all,

Earl

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Spring Fever
Only VA and NC for me this year. Not gonna be able to do the annual GA trip this year. Gonna be a busy year for me with a bachelor party in March and getting married in October.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:47 pm
King of Spring

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
Only VA and NC for me this year. Not gonna be able to do the annual GA trip this year. Gonna be a busy year for me with a bachelor party in March and getting married in October.

WHAAAAAT! :shock: Well congratulations! See you at the Q.

Earl

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:32 pm
Longbeard

Yea it will be a lot of quantico, the farm in prince william and I picked up 200+ acres in King George. I'm heading to NC the first Sunday evening and will hunt the next couple days before coming back for the first WW hunt at quantico.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:01 pm
King of Spring

I'm ready to go! Thinking about goin to KY or TN? I've never hu Ted out of state before.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 pm
Jake

First week of April I'm heading to Georgia to hunt with old friends, been making this pilgrimage for over 10 years, and I'll squeeze in a hog hunt while I'm there.

The rest of April and May I'll be hunting in either Pennsylvania, New York or Virginia, I joined a hunt club on the Northern Neck that is supposed to be great turkey hunting. Haven't worked all the dates & logistics out yet.

Playing with the idea of a "Fall Turkey Grand-Slam" in a year or two with my dog. I know a couple guys who have done this, sounds like a lot of fun, and a lot of planning.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am
King of Spring

Nick, never thought about a fall turkey dog grand slam. Although got a couple spring slams in, the fall one would need some intensive logistical planning.

Earl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I am in an area that got nowhere near the snow much of Appalachia got recently. Seeing some birds out in fields with the warm weather. Farmer friend says he watched a gobbler breed a hen two days ago. Only repeating what he said, but i don't doubt its veracity. Heard a good bit of gobbling in two different t places while duck hunting in last ten days and a good deal of hen yelping in close proximity to the gobbling. Wont be long now.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 am
King of Spring

OK, looks like I will be adding GA this spring. Pulling the trailer down and hook up on Ft. Stewart. May also hit Ft. Benning there in GA also. Been way many years since hunting Ft. Benning but a forester here at Quantico came from there and will hook me up with a forester there.

Earl

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Longbeard

Greyghost wrote:
OK, looks like I will be adding GA this spring. Pulling the trailer down and hook up on Ft. Stewart. May also hit Ft. Benning there in GA also. Been way many years since hunting Ft. Benning but a forester here at Quantico came from there and will hook me up with a forester there.

Earl

What days you going to Georgia??

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 pm
King of Spring

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
Greyghost wrote:

Earl

What days you going to Georgia??

Will be going down the 24th of March on a Thursday. Check in at the campground then and get base permit. Scout Friday. Planning on hunting there through the following Thursday then drive back here for VA youth day then if need be head back down to either Stewart or Benning.

Earl

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:23 am
King of Spring

I keep spring fever!! Have never hunted out of the state but maybe one year i will adventure out!

Doug

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:12 am
Jake

Plan on VA. Earl you not coming back to these mts?

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am
King of Spring

thundrchikin wrote:
Plan on VA. Earl you not coming back to these mts?

Todd, my ankles are still recovering from out there last spring. :D Especially when you walk a flatlander like myself 7 miles the first morning over rocky mountains getting all sweaty, tired and then 300 yards from the truck run into a couple gobbling and yelping turkeys. :smt023 Man, that was fun. But look out my ankles are getting better. Can't wait to see how you and your friends do this spring here against these government birds. :wink:

Earl

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 pm
King of Spring

Seeing them strut today makes me think of Spring mornings. 30 turkeys 7 strutters. Pretty cool for February in va.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 pm