View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 am

Mast this year? 
King of Spring

Post Mast this year?
I have been in the western mountains chasing grouse on multiple occasions and it appears where I've been hunting there are very little acorns. This past week I went up to Pa and did some hunting in the mountains and also very little mast. Wonder if others are finding the same situation.

Lastly, what determines whether one area has abundant mast and another doesn't? Is it strictly weather related or is there another factor. Just trying to educate myself.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:15 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Mast this year?
Spotty down my way. More bad than good. Not much soft mast either except spotty grapes. I haven't evr been able to figure it out completely as to why it's good or bad. It does seem like like warm winters and a late hard freeze thereafter is bad for most oak. Soft mast like autumn olive definitely gets whacked badly by late spring freezer that much l know for sure.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 pm
King of Spring

Yea same here. Very spotty oaks. Although it seems a lot of reds are around the ones that I and others have picked up and inspected are rotten.

The berry bushes seem to be very productive though.

Earl

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:21 pm
King of Spring

Fair mast just north of the VA/NC line, and zero mast just south of it (where I have been).

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Halifax County (VA) great crop from red and willow oaks, minimal from whites. Saw several flocks pass through from deer stand 2nd week November, couldn't tell from looking at the ground as they didn't have to scratch. Landowner told me he had stopped seeing them -- staying in the woods.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 pm