View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

seeing many pouts yet? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: seeing many pouts yet?
saw couple of nice sized groups of young birds in last two days, also four long bears by themselves

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:30 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Yesterday fishing in Ky l saw two hens with 14 poults that were less than a month old. Single gobbler. another group of four large birds, likey gobblers.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 am
King of Spring

Fly fishing for trout this last week around Edinburg saw quit a few turkeys. And talking with the locals that they thought it was a very good hatch this year.

Earl

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:26 am
Boss Gobbler

3 different groups of hens and poults spotted this weekend in Bedford Co. Poults in 2 of the groups were about half grown and one group was 2 hens with a bunch of poults about half the size of a chicken.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

saw more myself this weekend…hen and six nearly grown poults and a group of at least 23 birds that had hens poults and a gobbler …hard to count poults due to fog and distance

- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 am
Longbeard

went to the farm in Prince William Co. yesterday morning and hung a stand and saw a nice flock of birds……couple mature hens with young ones almost full grown

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:07 pm
King of Spring

Saw a flock Friday in Roanoke Co. they were 150 yards away but I counted 15, been seeing a small flock of gobblers as well. Watched a lone gobbler Saturday AM feeding in a hay field by himself.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Seeing more young birds all the time when exercising bird dogs early mornings. Hatch looks good down this way

- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:18 am
King of Spring

Saw one lone hen with a poult about the size of a small chicken this morning taking my oldest to the bus stop. Saw her again on the way back and still only one poult. Spied my lone gobbler the other morning in an adjacent field, hopefully he'll give me a crack at him this fall. Scouted another place with a friend over the weekend and the place was scratched to pieces, small flock of gobblers hanging out in one spot, saw lots of feathers where they had been dusting.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 am
King of Spring

Since running Patch in the woods for training, seeing more younger birds then thought was out there. So I would say it was a good hatch but from some of the sizes I would say a late hatch.

Earl

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:36 am