View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

Very Memorable Weekend 
King of Spring

Post Very Memorable Weekend
The first and formost is that of the ultimate sacrifices that our military have given so we may have the freedoms that all Americans are blessed with today.

The second is I took a break from my PA hunts this weekend to come home and be with family. But on my way home I stopped off to see my aunt Marie who is 98 and just went under hospice care. I met my cousin Jane to see my brother in New Oxford, PA. Well Aunt Marie was my grandfathers daughter, the one who got me into turkey hunting. Jane was going through some things my aunt had put away and in a shoe box in the bottom of an old steamer trunk she found something of my grandfather's that we all thought was lost. It was an American Waltham 17 jeweled gold pocket watch that he owned and I remember him keeping it in a special pouch while turkey hunting. Of course being gold and shiny when he would check the time while hunting and being young I was memorized by it.
Well Jane knew my relationship with our grandfather and presented it to me yesterday. The flood of memories and emotion was just to much and am not afraid to say it took awhile for me to regain my composure.

May you all have a great Memorial day and please say a special thanks to those who gave.

Earl

Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Very Memorable Weekend
That's a wonderful gift and remembrance that you received. Sometimes the smallest item can be the most cherished by the next generation. Good for everyone that it ended up with you.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun May 24, 2015 9:48 pm
Jake

Congrats on your very special gift.

Mon May 25, 2015 8:26 am
King of Spring

Thats great Earl! That sounds like a great gift and an excellent way to end your season!!

Doug

Mon May 25, 2015 10:54 am