View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:27 am

picking a place 
King of Spring

Post picking a place
How do you guys decide which places you want to hunt when? Do you go by number of birds or hunting pressure? This year I'm stumped on where to go for the opener, nothing stands out. Not sure to go out on a limb or go to one of my always reliable spots? Just wondering what you guys thought process is?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:55 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: picking a place
I hunt public land (National Forest). The past two years I have hunted the same area exclusively. I found the spot by virtual scouting and then happened to hit the jackpot the first time I went out there. Now the dilemma is which of the three "starting points" to I want to begin at? Without roosting a bird it can be a real toss-up. Thing is, it really doesn't matter. A day in the turkey woods will always be worthwhile.

This year I want to make it a point to branch out and explore more land. Even though the area I hunt is productive, it is always nice to have more options. I've got a crew coming out for a "turkey camp" for the second weekend of the season, so I kind of want to leave my "tried and true" area alone on opening day (granted, someone will be there hunting it).

There are turkeys in them woods, boys! We just gotta find 'em!

Royce

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm
King of Spring

For me it sometimes seems to be more of a rat race kinda like the early bird gets the worm thing. Really have never been fortuinate enough to have a place to call my own.. But I've gotten used to getting up at 330 and be waiting there sometimes hours before daylight the payoff is just hearing one gobble and praying that the 5 other hunters within a half mile radius didnt hear him as well....

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

This is always talked about among turkey hunters around here and is interesting the thought process each one uses.

Well I hunt a lot of public land usually military bases. So my thought process is getting an area that is open. Then trough scouting and years of hunting them my next thought is what or where may the birds be roosting depending on weather conditions. Then knowing what training exercises were being conducted in the area if it was closed for a couple of days for training and what type of training. Also if the area has been open for a few days how hard it was hunted. Then knowing who else may be hunting the area and knowing where they like to hunt or will be hunting. Once the basics are worked out and I decide where to hunt a particular area then I will decide where to enter and approach a certain listening post or if I know where one may be roosted how to approach that spot.

Normally hunting any public land I try to refrain from going after a bird directly from a road or woods trail. I will normally not call from either place. But try to get around on the backside of a bird. Yea its a few more steps but usually worth it.

Picking out a spot to sit up is dependent upon the terrain and cover. I try always to set up so once the bird comes into view I can pull the trigger or he cannot view an open area out of gun range and not see that no other turkey is there.

Folks say what if the bird is coming in silent and he is in gun range and you are out of position. Well one thing I hope there is some cover (trees/ bushes) his head can go behind for a split second. Also one will be surprised by how much movement one can get away with on an approaching bird. (too a point that is)

There are a lot more what if's for this topic but way to much for me to but down in one thought process. Thats the great thing about turkey hunting and usually every hunt is usally different with different thought processes.

Earl

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 am
Poult

I'm in the same boat, skimerhorn! I don't know about your options but mine are a good 2 hours apart from each other. One being private and the other being public. I hate making these kind of decisions!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:47 am
King of Spring

For me its two things. It's pick a place and pick a place within a place. I've got two private land areas I hunt. One is 1 hour from the house and the other is 4 hours. However, once I get there both places are pretty large (200 plus acres) and the birds can be just about anywhere. I can scout the close place often enough to pattern the birds to a degree, but the word is to a degree. Sometimes they move for no apparent reason and hence the problem. Both places once I commit pre-dawn to a location there is no turning back. Because there is no way to switch locations during the daylight without getting busted. Too much open farm land with patches of woods. Also lots of deer, and deer mess me up almost as much as I mess myself up. Snorting deer, or deer running down through the woods will flat out ruin your best laid turkey planning. Ditto for spooking a coyote (which are everywhere).

The good thing about both of my places is generally the birds are there. Now getting those birds is where it gets complicated. Poaching is a huge huge problem with both places. Anyway, I will be out there at both places. Will hit the place not far from Blackstone probably the end of the first week of the season and will hit the local place for the opener and maybe Sunday as well.

PS. The local place is best a sneak in and sneak out place. If you run and gun heavy you will flat push the birds off the property and onto other properties where I don't have access.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am
King of Spring

For me,
On the opener, I always go with a reliable spot! Unless you have a descent (on the limb) spot to go, turkeys are hard enough to hunt without giving them an advantage! NOW, with that said, I've killed more turkeys and deer on days that I've just decided to change things up a bit! That "gut" feeling has always served me well (well for the most part)! It almost sounds as if your "gut" is telling u to change things up a bit! Never a bad option if you have the option to change it up! :) just my 2 cents!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 am
King of Spring

Usually by scouting but where the volume is. Typically if im going a long way. I go where history is w gobblers. I have a place in charlotte co where I could leave Fredericksburg at 3 am be there at 530 and garuntee to hear a gobbler every time without scouting.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 pm