View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 am

what does a late winter season do for the spring season? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post what does a late winter season do for the spring season?
still about ten inches -+ of crusted snow in much of southern appalachia. been here for more than two weeks with some zero temps thrown in. Despite a generally good acorn crop, the turks have to be at critical time for food and hen weight necessary to bring off a good egg and a good year for poults.. I suspect green plant growth to be retarded significantly. Generally i think mountain birds move to and then hang in north seeps for the greens in march. Right now those spots are frozen. Pasture birds hang in seeps, cow feed lots, and south facing oak stands. A month from now l suspect all the usual pre nesting food and nesting spots will be open but l also suspect the hens weight mass will be negatively impacted by the recent late season weather. Could mean less young hens nesting? or nesting very late.? My experience is the t the later the spring the better the gobbling (assembly late) at opening dates. I am a lot more worried about hen weights the l am about gobbling. nature has its own way of protecting a species, so we shall see.

I know photoperiod will determine some of the nesting and breeding dates, but an extended early spring-late winter weather period freeze like this has to have a slow down effect?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: what does a late winter season do for the spring season?
Since turkey are still in there winter pattern, won't the weather at the end of the month determine if things are late or not?

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:11 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

biologists tell me the green seeps and green plants provide vitamin E for egg development but will NOt sustain weight in prolonged snow cover . Don't think the weight they lose now can be made up for later in spring, but what do l know?

FWIW , I drove around some on bad roads yesterday and saw a bunch of birds in cow pastures around cattle hay feeding areas. This weather really bunches them up around a good lowland cow pasture food source. I spect many of the mountain birds are looking for lowland food as well, but they just may not have the cows and so forth to help them.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:42 pm
King of Spring

GN, I have the same concerns.

Our snows have not been as bad up here but still snow covered and freezing temps.

Who does know but mother nature and the turkeys themselves. Will have to wait and see on this years events and the effects it has on the breeding and population.

I am concerned about the seeps being frozen over as that is a good food source in bad winters for turkeys. But as one knows turkeys are omnivorous. So maybe with the crusted snow they can get to some food source better then it being a soft powdery snow.

Studies showed a turkey can stay in roost for 2 weeks but lose 40% of their body weight before starvation. I am sure the extreme weather will delay the onset of mating and nesting by influencing the condition of the birds.

But during these weakened conditions they are more susceptible to predation.

So far walking around in the woods the last month I have not seen any signs of dead turkeys. Will be getting out again this week on beaver/otter and other surveys at the Q.

Earl

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 pm
King of Spring

I'm sorry gn I thought you were talking about the hatch being delayed.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:43 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

SH-no problem man, we are all just guessing. But if you don't have theories you are not a turkey hunter, right? Only the turkey easy know how this will work out.

- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 pm
King of Spring

Although an older book but still considered by many the bible, "The Wild Turkey in Virginia" its status, life history and management by Mosby and Handley (1943) has some in depth studies of winter conditions and the effects it has on the turkey's and population.

Not to go into a long dissertation if one can get a copy of it, some libraries do have a copy of it and it is a worthwhile read. In it climate and the wild turkey P. 77-79 and weather mortality, snow, roosting and movements of turkeys, breeding and weather conditions, weights for sustaining a good breeding year and all is covered.

Other notable studies and books are:

Roger Latham (PA study 1935-1949)
Hewitt (Management of the Wild Turkey 1967)

Although a lot of wild turkey management books are old. Extensive studies that a lot of the older biologists have done are not being done today.
But a lot of the biologists that do study the wild turkey and management of them today still references these older books and studies when they meet once every 5 years for the National Wild Turkey Symposiums.

In fact the last Symposium was headed up and edited by our own Gary Normam (2011) It is the 10th in the series and is titled "Managing Wild Turkeys in the Face of Uncertainty. I am sure if one was to contact him he may still have some copies left.

In fact when one views all the books the biologists agree to disagree to a point but a lot of great studies and information out there about the wild turkey from all parts of the country.

Earl

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 pm
King of Spring

Can't call it late spring yet IMO. I would like it to turn just as 2 years ago. Broke warm perfectly for clover and it exploded everywhere followed by a record hatch. We have had significant March snows the last two years so Ill reserve my worry. Like you any late spring results in better hunting throughout the season IMO.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 am
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
Like you any late spring results in better hunting throughout the season IMO.

This is my opinion also.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Just be glad you are not a NH wild turkey.

I suspect a later spring for you in VA would only mean the grass won't be so high in the fields come late season. :D

Our back forty flock was 16 birds until our first major snowfall on 01-27 of 31 ". We are over 100 inches now and snow forecast for tonight. There is a 3 to 4 foot base. There is no scratching to the ground.

The back yard flock is now four or five longbeards. The hens moved on to better feeding somewhere? Been flushing the men out of the roost in the daytime. I suspect they are flying to and from the food source as tracks on the ground are limited.

They sure do appreciate the backyard snowshoe trail for getting around.

03-01-15
Trees that Benefit the Wild Turkey in Winter
There are two types of trees that have helped the wild turkey flock this winter in our back forty.

On the left American Locust. On the right White Pine.

If you look close at the locust tree tops you can see the pods. Each pod has a row of seeds like a pea. The pods loosen up in wind and stormy weather and come to rest on the snow below. Hence the turkeys and other birds have food above the snow.

The mature white pines are a favorite four season roost. They provide protection from the elements and have sturdy branches the turkeys toes can grip without much sway.

This was two weeks ago. My wife took the picture and calls it "Dogs Eye View".

Count your turkeys blessing you only have a foot.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

And the Judges on snow depth contest thus endeth the contest and award Coalman the 2015 trophy!!

- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:42 pm
King of Spring

I think Coalman's Maine turkey's may take a hit this year. 6 or 7 feet yes feet of snow cover can't be a good thing.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:11 pm
King of Spring

Calling for 8+ inches in Loudoun County tonight. That qualifies as a full fledged disaster in the D.C. area.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:49 am