View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:01 am

Good Fall/Winter Season With Pics Now 
King of Spring

Post Good Fall/Winter Season With Pics Now
Hope you all don't get to bored.

My turkey dog puppy turned 8 months on the 15th of Dec. This whole fall season has been committed to her and training. She is an all black dropper (cross between a pointer and setter) She of course being young is in high gear all the time. Early in the season I was able to break a flock myself although she was along still very wet behind the ears as what to do. At home she sorta followed when I dragged the wing around the yard and then let her loose. But again being a pup she got distracted with other things. I was able to call back or blind call a couple of birds with her at the set up but when they came within hearing or sight it looked like a WWF match between her and me. So of course no bird. Then I was hoping to walk up on some birds and shot one on the wing in front of her. But many times out I had no luck. Although able to work with her in other things, of course one being able to lay still at the set up.

A very gracious gentleman on this site read my previous posts and invited Patch and myself to hunt his areas where he knew of birds. Well on Thursday, yesterday I took him up on his offer. We met up at 1100 and went to his spots. The first 2 spots showed lots of sign but no turkeys. The 3rd place we went we got out of the truck and walked about 100 yards through the woods and just as we crested a knoll a bird flushed and surprised us all including the dog. It flew from right to left and my dog and guide was to my right closest to the bird. I seen it was a long beard and had a wide open shot of about 25 yards. Using my modified barrel at the shot the turkey folded and hit the ground very much alive but not going anywhere. It crawled into a blowdown. I got Patch over to it and she tried to get to it while barking. So my friend went in and pulled out the turkey that was flapping. He laid it down and Patch was at it biting and barking. We both were praising her and the turkey finally died. I know this was hard for us to watch, that is the turkey suffering but was needed to get Patch starting to put 2 and 2 together. The bird did not suffer long since I had my foot on its head.
Well after some photos and putting the bird back at the truck we continued to hunt her. We walked about 250 yards when patch was to our right and I thought I seen a flash of black about 125 yards in front of us. We walked that direction and my friend said turkey and then I seen them about 100 yards running through the woods. Patch was with us and did not seen them. Well my friend and Patch took off running towards them and I come slowly behind (2 bad ankles). We seen the turkeys take off a ridge point over into some hemlocks. Patch again never seen them but once we got her to where they were she was like a different dog picking up the scent. I think she has correlated after killing the first bird with the scent. But she still has not really put together following them up. We then went and set up since my friend figured they were part of the 12 longbeards he seen together a couple days earlier. We set up, he in front, me and the dog behind. Patch rested her head on my leg for the first 30 minutes while we called. By the way he was using a slate that had one of the best gobbler yelps I heard from a slate call. We called it quits after about 45 minutes.
Again I cannot thank this man enough for helping out and letting me shot one of his Lonbeards.

Now to today. Went down to Quantico with a more positive turkey dog. While heading down a road that bordered the area I was checked out to There were turkeys that crossed the road into my area. They were all long beards about 11 that I counted with a few more not sure of. As they crossed this little grass field and into the woods. I parked the truck and got my gear and Patch out. I walked her to where the birds where and she got very excited but did not really go after them. So I pointed and was saying turkey in the direction of the woods and she finally went up in. She was only gone about 5-10 seconds when she barked twice and birds flew out in 3 directions. She then came right out to me. Got her and myself set up and was going to brush up around us when I heard a gobbler yelp and then another. I got her laying down then and made some gobbler clucks and yelps on my box. I got answers right away. I thought man this is quick for long beards. But after 10 minutes of calling I see movement in the woods about 80 yards out. Of course so does Patch now. She is sitting up but I have my gun on my knee and one hand on her trying to calm her down. She is doing good till 2 LB walk out in the corner of the field. She was shaking and whining as they came. The lead bird was about 30 yards and I was able to get my finger on the trigger when Patch let out a single bard. The turkey actually put its head up and the shot was made. I let Patch loose and she was on the flopping bird biting and barking like crazy. At the shot the other 1 took off along with 2 others just in the woods edge.

Again a very gracious offer to help jump start hopefully a good turkey dogging future with Patch, thank you. But yesterday he tried keeping my face mask, gloves and yes gun, funny story. He also said for me to take good care of "his" dog.

Gun…. 12 ga Ithaca NID 30" barrels, 2 3/4" Mod. and Full
Shells….. RST 1 1/4 oz. 6 shot
Calls ….. Box call

First turkey… Approx. 18#, 7/8" spurs, 8 3/4" beard
Second bird… 17.4#, 7/8 Spurs, 9" beard
Both probably would have been 3 year olds this coming spring.

Earl

Last edited by Greyghost on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Good Fall/Winter Season With Pics Now
Nice, really nice. My gunsmith has a turkey dog although this season its turned into more of a squirrel dog.

Nice choice on guns as well.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 am
King of Spring

that is awesome! She will quickly learn if she sits still she will get the bird. We always had turkey dogs growing up and 2 londbeards is already quite the season congrats!

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 pm
Longbeard

I really enjoyed this hunt with Earl. I have heard about turkey doggin since I was a kid, but had never gone. It seems it used to be really popular sport in Fauquier Co, but has faded out in the last few decades, probably due to modern spring season. I have heard that the sport originated here in Fauquier Co, unsure if that is true or not. Earl is obviously dedicated to the sport and is passionate about the wild turkey, he is a true gentleman in the turkey woods and I enjoyed his company. I do not claim to be a expert, but have been a dedicated turkey hunter for over 30 years and I know a skilled turkey hunter when I hunt with them, Earl is one. Thanks again Earl! Take good care of my girl "Patch", she is well on her way to being a turkey busting maniac. Love the pics.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm
Jake

Sounds like she's coming along very well for you Earl. Best of luck.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 pm
King of Spring

Thanks guys.

Todd, good hearing from you again. I know you got a couple fall stories by now. How is Kee-Kee?

Darel, thanks again for all. Can't wait till you meet Gratten and his outstanding turkey dog Missy. Hope to share the turkey woods with you again, soon. I really enjoyed hunting with you and is very obvious that turkey hunting, knowing the turkeys and how to hunt them that you are a very experienced turkey hunter. Take care of that slate call, I can't get over how good that sounds.

Earl

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congratulations to all involved is sharing the woods with dogs, men and turkeys. Nice photos and nice birds.

While grouse hunting in SW Va friday l could have join date ranks of the dog hunters in the fall, not in a proper bust and call routine though. My friend has a pointer he is trying to turn in to a grouse dog and his dog put up two bird gobblers off a steep ridge. I was directly under the flight path of one gobbler at less than 20 yards. Ha dt he gun to my shoulder but was not sure if my Turkey license had expired in July…IT HAD. luckily for me and the bird l did not pull the trigger but that bird l took coup on him, that is for sure.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Congratulations to all involved is sharing the woods with dogs, men and turkeys. Nice photos and nice birds.

While grouse hunting in SW Va friday l could have join date ranks of the dog hunters in the fall, not in a proper bust and call routine though. My friend has a pointer he is trying to turn in to a grouse dog and his dog put up two bird gobblers off a steep ridge. I was directly under the flight path of one gobbler at less than 20 yards. Ha dt he gun to my shoulder but was not sure if my Turkey license had expired in July…IT HAD. luckily for me and the bird l did not pull the trigger but that bird l took coup on him, that is for sure.

Good thing your brain works quicker then your trigger finger in that case. :D How is the grouse population down there?

Right now although Patch is starting to expand her range while hunting. That day with Darel she was remaining close (I think she likes him), in fact Darel even mentioned that she would make a good grouse dog. But then the next day at Quantico she ranged good after I checked the bird in I took her back out for practice and hope that we would run into more birds, but did not. I would like to see her range out and at least if I was on one ridge she would go over the next one out of site. She should start ranging further as she ages, again she is only 8 months but am very pleased at her performance right now.

Earl

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 pm
Longbeard

I gotta stay away from this "Greyghost guy", he is going to turn me into a fall turkey dog hunter. Of course that would mean more time for out of state hunts!! LOL.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm
King of Spring

Very Nice story.. and very Gracious of Darrell to offer up his spots.. takes a good man to do that.. I used to Dog hunt a lot when I was a teenager in WV .. but have not done it for years now on a consistent basis.. I went with a buddy about 10 years ago or so .. I do miss it and plan to get back into it if I make it to retirement age :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:27 pm
Longbeard

Spent most of the day in the woods with Earl and Patch. We found 1 flock, but Patch is still learning. The goal was to get her some more experience in the woods. Her confidence was getting better as the day went on and she got super excited when we got in fresh sign, she was obviously smelling turkey's. Any day you get to spend in the woods on a leisurely walk looking at turkey scratching and deer sign is a good day. We saw ALOT of scratching. I think I might hear a couple this spring. WARNING: If you go in the woods with Earl, take your walking shoes, he is hard to keep up with even though he has 2 bad ankles and a bum knee. Thanks again Earl!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:37 pm
King of Spring

Beard Collecter wrote:
Spent most of the day in the woods with Earl and Patch. We found 1 flock, but Patch is still learning. The goal was to get her some more experience in the woods. Her confidence was getting better as the day went on and she got super excited when we got in fresh sign, she was obviously smelling turkey's. Any day you get to spend in the woods on a leisurely walk looking at turkey scratching and deer sign is a good day. We saw ALOT of scratching. I think I might hear a couple this spring. WARNING: If you go in the woods with Earl, take your walking shoes, he is hard to keep up with even though he has 2 bad ankles and a bum knee. Thanks again Earl!

Thank you Darryl (now that I finally got your first name right), it was a pleasure spending great times in the woods with you. I think this time next year you will be working with a turkey dog pup. I could tell by the way you observed Patch that you enjoy the hunt with a dog. And your turkey hunting experience added with a dog tells me you are a future fall turkey dog hunter. I know once we get with an experienced turkey dog and Patch hopefully learns to follow up on a scent trail you will see some great flock busts and hear the woods sound off with regrouping turkeys. You forgot a word after couple and that was hundred. I just wish you had not made me park at a gas station miles away from the hunting area and then blind folded me till we arrived and again when we left. :D

Take care and hope to see you again soon.

Earl

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:11 pm
Jake

Congratulations on the hunt and your great looking dog, Earl. Be careful what you wish for though. Next year you might think, if Patch wouldn't always take off, out of sight, over the next ridge so fast, I wouldn't have to buy one of those $800 tracking collars :wink: Merry Christmas!

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile WWW